Bon Secours Mercy Health (BSMH) has released its 2022 Environmental, Social and Governance report, which details the health system’s ongoing efforts to strive for excellence in serving patients, associates and communities while safeguarding the environment and its resources.
“Working to protect the earth, helping people and communities thrive and holding ourselves accountable is fundamental to all of us at Bon Secours Mercy Health,” said John Starcher, Bon Secours Mercy Health CEO. “Our ministry’s Values, along with our Mission and alignment with Catholic Social and Moral Teaching, guide us in our dedication to doing what’s right for the world and for others.
BSMH’s focus is influenced by Pope Francis’ discussion in Laudato Si’, as he calls all to embody “integral ecology” in every action.
The 2022 ESG report highlights a number of key organizational initiatives, including:
- Support of environmental goals through a strong operations framework: Guided by BSMH governance and executive goals, ongoing oversight and operational support of the organization’s ESG commitments are provided by both system and local teams. In markets, Green Teams oversee and facilitate ESG activities designed specifically to address their facility and community needs. This focus has led to the elimination of desflurane as an anesthetic gas, reducing CO2 emissions by 1,671 metric tons and the elimination of more than 175,000 pounds of waste through the use of reusable gowns.
- Extension of environmental efforts through partnerships and pledges: BSMH is committed to building a sustainable culture through environmental stewardship and partnerships. Through relationships with organizations like the Healthcare Anchor Network, Practice Greenhealth and more, we are able to extend our impact exponentially.
- Focus on addressing violence for the safety of all people: Addressing violence, especially gun violence, has been a key focus for the ministry. As part of our shareholder advocacy efforts, BSMH has filed a total of eight shareholder resolutions and conducted more than 50 discussions with retailers or manufacturers of firearms since 2017. In our markets, a variety of programs and partnerships are dedicated to reducing the incidence of violence.
- Commitment to enhancing community health outcomes and investing in communities: Across BSMH, we strive to ensure that all patients, especially those who are poor and underserved, have access to high-quality, safe health care by addressing key social determinants of health and focusing on a culture of safety across all levels of the organization. Our community health focus is determined by a Community Health Needs Assessment, conducted regularly to ensure we are meeting the needs of the communities we serve, and our focused Direct Community Investment Program has deployed nearly $30 million into our communities throughout the last six months alone.
- Creation of an inclusive, diverse workplace to enhance our care for patients and communities: BSMH is working to attract and retain a diverse workforce that reflects the communities it serves. Seramount recently recognized these efforts nationally, naming BSMH No. 8 on the 2022 Top Companies for Women Executives list, No. 38 on the 2022 Best Companies for Multicultural Women list, No. 46 on the 2022 Top 100 Companies list and No. 97 on the 2022 Best Companies for Dads list.
- Focus on an inclusive supplier base: BSMH’s supply chain management company, Advantus Health Partners, supports vendors to ensure that they meet or exceed our performance standards. We also ensure that we’re inclusive and provide equal opportunity to businesses owned by minorities, women, veterans and people with disabilities. As a result, 6.18 percent of BSMH’s total in-scope spend is with diverse suppliers.
- Intentionally approaching governance and leadership with high standards of integrity and transparency: Strong compliance program oversight coupled with ethical standards and a focus on risk allows BSMH to operate with integrity and transparency.
To learn more about BSMH’s ESG efforts, visit https://bsmhealth.org/esg/.